Saturday, March 3, 2012

How to make your own powdered laundry detergent

While I've been stuck on the floor I've discovered Pinterest and StumbleUpon. You gotta try these, there is soooo much to learn out there. Anyway, there are a lot of stay-at-home moms posting tutorials for everything under the sun, and I thought I'd try my hand at a few of them. I've read about some DIY liquid detergents, but the heating and mixing process (not to mention the quantity) just seemed too involved for me right now. When I discovered that many of the same ingredients can be used to create powdered detergents, I decided to see if it was for me.
Q: Why do it myself?
A: Well, I'm bored, and have plenty of time on my hands right now.
A: Other bloggers promise I can save a lot of money with this method.
A: With sensitive skin and allergies, controlling irritants and additives really appeals to me.
How to make your own powdered laundry detergent

You will need:
1 Fels-Naptha or Zote laundry bar
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, or DIY
1/4 cup baking soda
food processor
canning funnel (optional)
26 oz airtight storage canisters

If you can't find washing soda at your store, or want to save a little money making it yourself, read my tutorial on how to turn baking soda into washing soda.

To my dismay, a lot of other bloggers have included smelly crystals and fragrances. Why would you add unnecessary skin and nose irritants? Laundry can actually be clean and fresh without smelling like a chemical plant!

Using the grater/shredder disc on your food processor, shred the laundry bar. Several bloggers have commented that Fels-Naptha is easier to work with if frozen for 48 hours and then smashed with a hammer before shredding. Impatient as I am, I put it in the freezer overnight, then whacked it once or twice with the hammer. It broke into a couple of pieces, but my food processor was strong enough to handle the job.You might have to put some resistant chunks through a couple of times. Zote is a lot softer and can be cut into smaller pieces before adding to the feed tube.

Switch to the chopper blade, and process until bar is finely chopped. Gradually add the remaining ingredients and continue blending. That's it! Transfer to an airtight container. This recipe fits perfectly into 26 oz peanut butter jars.

I'd recommend soaking and scrubbing your utensils and  processor parts before running them through the dishwasher. They may leave your dishes filmy.
It only takes a couple of tablespoons per load... really! It's hard to resist pouring in more, but I've restrained myself and been very pleased for two or three weeks now. I have an extra coffee spoon labeled 2TBS that somehow holds more than this cute little 1/8 cup scoop. Aren't there 4 tablespoons in 1/4 cup? Even if it's inaccurate, it's cute and small enough to store in the canister. I'll just use generously rounded spoonfuls.

Fels-Naptha and Zote formulas
The Fels-Naptha bar is mustard yellow and has a no-nonsense detergent scent that I do not detect after clothes come out of the dryer (I have a nose like a bloodhound). The Fels-Naptha bar did not chop as finely, so you may want to help it dissolve by adding it to the wash water prior to putting in your clothes.

The Zote bar is bubble-gum pink and has a slightly "fresher" scent. I smell a trace of the Zote scent on finished laundry, but most people wouldn't pick it up.

Several bloggers have claimed that this detergent is safe for HE machines because the soap bars don't get sudsy. I do not own one of these machines, so use at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment